Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Developers Log. Development Date 135. GDC

GDC was disheartening. The Expo Floor didn't have wireless, at least not that the U of U booth could get to work. This big limitation our game has always had to deal with is being on the Xbox so that the Avatars display properly. As the game is not yet published, in order to play it, one needs to be connected to the internet and signed into a live account that has the creative club membership. Without the internet, we cannot show our game.

It was sad to not be able to show off and talk about my game as people played it. That was the main reason I went. I spent a lot of time time talking to Riot employees. I met some great peeps that did all sorts of fun things for Riot, and they all seem genuinely happy. Most valuable was when I was able to talk to Mike, a gameplay engineer, about what it's like to work for Riot as an engineer. As my interest is gameplay, it was by-far the most interesting and valuable conversation that I had at GDC.

I chose to go green and simply carry my resume around with me in pdf form on my iPad to email to people. This was my biggest regret, I should have printed copies and carried them around. The wireless didn't work for me down on the Expo floor, so I couldn't email it right then and there. Not having my Resume to hand to people also felt a bit hollow when talking to people about future careers since I couldn't leave anything tangible. For any future GDC adventurers, my advice would be to carry a stack of resumes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment