Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Developers Log. Development Date 2 - State machine

Despite the exciting news of Ninja Royale being selected (!) I opted to enjoy my fall break and stay away from the blog. That doesn't mean, however, that I didn't stay away from coding, as I had much to get ready before letting the group run wild with the code. I wanted to make sure what we were keeping was in a solid state and would be a good and reliable architecture for us moving forward.

This past week I worked on completely removing all of the abilities we had, and converting them to states, with a state machine. Each state has a animation that is playing and a movement controller. States are responsible for animating the player, and changing states (from being in the air, to on the ground, to running up a wall, to hanging, to climbing, etc.) Movement controllers however are responsible for movement, obviously. We currently have 5 movement controllers: OnGround, InAir, Hanging, HorizontalWallRun, and VerticalWallRun. I'm sure we will add a few more, but that is those are the core movement controllers, and each state uses just one, depending on the state, obviously.

The biggest concern right now is "What is the game?" We got shut down pretty hard for making a multiplayer game. That doesn't mean we won't have multiplayer in the end, but that can't be the game, or the focus. Right now I'm leaning towards a single player/co-op experience. The thing that scares me about that is story, I'm terrible at creating a story. Luckily I have a group of ten other individuals who will be able to be the creative driving force for that. Once we narrow down what the game is we want to create, we will really be able to start deciding what is most important to get done first, set modular mile stones and start pumping out a game!


No comments:

Post a Comment